A while back an artist client of mine had a wool dress made from an Easy Vogue pattern. I posted photos of the crappy paper pattern that did not have any pieces match up nor notches co-ordinate. But this Easy Vogue is a whole lot better…Vogue 8469. I made it up last year in a solid cotton lined in cotton and my client says she has “worn it to death” and needed another one but in a more lively fabric.
The entire dress is underlined with cotton batiste and the raw edges are bound with pink cotton as well. The hem will be just turned under and stitched to the underlining thus eliminating showing on the right side. Once the pattern was altered for a sway back it went together pretty well. The main issue was the fabric, it is directional and has to match left to right as well as top to bottom…Lordie…like wall paper only worse! Another issue was the fact that the very center of the motifs was not the fold of fabric, it was about 4 inches off center so each pieces had to cut separately and not on the fold. The invisible zipper makes the motifs come together very nicely.
It looked so good at the last fitting with pins here and there that my client’s friend asked me to make her the same dress in deep purple with lime green lining and lined pockets, and sash belt which was left off in the original version. This always happens….one gal brings her friend and her friend has to have her own version in different colors. Too bad their bodies are not similar but they are very different with one having almost 2 inches removed to make it more short-waisted and with a sway back alteration and bust enlargement, the other client is petite but with a long waist so a totally different set of problems to solve before cutting the fabric.
Before I get back to the mound of clothes waiting to be cut out, I will share 3 brides that came in this week…all different dresses but all for June weddings.
Along with these honeys there are 2 bridesmaid dresses that have to have sleeves made from the long hems and the hunt for extra fabric to let out the bust area 2.5 inches to get the zipper up…have to be thankful for internet purchases…they keep us seamstresses in business!
Next time I have another art project from the man with the plaster skull and a new client who wants her entire ethnic wardrobe re-vamped…always something happening in the sewing studio.
Here is a photo for you to ponder…a client brought in fabric to make copies of this…I opened it up, and this is the shape…see if you can guess at what it is for…the first correct answer will win a free Coni Crawford pattern. Good luck!