Last week I mentioned this project and thought you would enjoy me sharing what I found inside the recent Prom outfit.
First thing out of the mother’s mouth was, “The day my daughter was born I knew she would be a princess and wear sparkles the rest of her life“. REALLY? Or was that just wishful thinking and the drugs given during the delivery?
The girl said as soon as she saw this dress it “WAS HERS” and nothing would stop her from having it…BUT…the big BUT in the meantime it was at least 2-3 sizes too big for her after they ordered it from China. Most dresses even from Chinese websites have a label proudly proclaiming who made it…this one did not…no tags, no label, no washing instructions…not a good sign. So normally I like to give you a link to the website and skinny model wearing the said dress but not this time…sorry.
Here it is hanging up…doesn’t look too bad…covered in bling (fake boobs on the side).
The straps were long and connected to a flap of fabric at the bottom of the armhole…weird place to put cross-over straps so that was remedied and they were re-located to the back neckline. The weird thing about the straps was they were a different length and one had an added bit tacked on and they were hand sewn to the red dress with pink thread.
The center back area was pinned out (4 inches total) so that the zipper could be removed and re-attached tighter. The lining was that crappy bagged type. They hang awful and bubble under so I told them I would hem them separately to hang flatter. Then the pinning up of the bling-laden chiffon. The front and sides were pinned up and when I got around to the train I offered to make a single bustle loop so the girl could dance without stepping on her dress and she said, “I MUST have my train“…OK then. I noticed that there was a huge vacancy in the bust area where boobs are supposed to be and offered a good sized push-up bra cup to fill the void. Then the side seams had to be taken in both lining and satin and of course those French seamed chiffon ones…don’t you just love re-doing French seams?
How soon could I finish the dress since the Prom was in 3 days? Why did they leave it so late??? Well, they drove around town to all the other seamstresses and sewing centers where they were told to “buy a new dress” as they did not want to touch it. That’s where I came in…they had finally called the Viking dealership and the manager there, thanks Julie, referred them to me…she may own me a favor in the future.
Let’s look inside shall we?First thing to notice is the food stain just above the basted new hem line, there is another on on the back. All beads had to be removed from the zipper area and re-attached later by hand NOT with a glue gun.
At the final try-on we could barely get the zipper up but the girl said the dress was perfect and paid the bill. I did caution her that if the dress is dry cleaned the glue might dissolve and ALL the beads would fall off. Another thing I forgot to mention is that whoever glued all the center back beads and baubles on let the chiffon rest on the satin and the whole mess was actually glued together so I slowly pulled every layer apart so they could hang separately instead of bunching up.
So now ladies…lesson learned…if this shows up in your sewing room/studio…DON’T TOUCH IT!
P.S. the dress cost $250 and the alterations were $150…next time they may just buy off the rack in a real store.