Do you remember the post that had the Oriental/Asian looking garments?
Well, Claire responded with this:
Hi Mrs Mole! The Chinese wedding outfits you have here are called Qun Kua or just Kua, they are traditionally worn by the bride for at least part of the wedding ceremonies (usually the tea drinking) and they are almost always elaborately decorated with beads, sequins and embroidery. If you look you can see the traditional marriage symbols of dragon (for the man/groom) and the phoenix (for the woman/bride) on the pink set. The red skirt is missing its jacket, it was probably beautiful and kept by someone to wear on its own. Red is a lucky colour for weddings in China and even though many modern brides there now choose to wear white western style dresses for part of the ceremonies, almost all brides will have a kua too.
Many Thanks to Claire for researching for me! More about these garments and prices here.
This week, I find myself down with a nasty cold like many other bloggers and have had to cancel bridal appointments but I want to share a killer gown that will be worn at a ski resort in the snow in 2 weeks.
This Lanesta dress was made in Greece, shipped to a company in Canada and then sent to the US bride:
The bride is tiny and so the shoulders were too wide and kept falling off her shoulders. The lace is very very thick and heavy and the dress weighs over 6 pounds with most of that being the train itself. The back corset has 2 flaps, one being wider than the other and it slides under the narrow side to look centered on the body when laced up. The bride will not have a bow on her butt and will slide the laces down the opening at the bottom of the corset.
You can see how much has to be cut off of the front hem with the bustle just pinned up to ground level…over 6 inches!
Shoulders pinned out and feeling more secure:
Almost 2 inches will be taken up to help pull everything up and also get rid of the front bodice droop. So what do you do with the sleeve cap? All the seam allowances are bound with a strip of tricot so that has to be removed first. The sleeve cap was condensed by moving all the open bits of lace closer together to make it fit the new armhole. I did not cut off the excess fabric as it aided the stability of the open lace. It will be flipped to the back and hand tacked flat.
The next thing was the hem. The original hem was also bound with a tricot/tulle strip before a tiny lace edging was applied. I removed all the tiny lace edging and ran a thread basting line in red thread to make the new hem edge. I had a roll of Seams Great tricot binding and sewed it to the right side of the lace.
Once the binding is sewn on and the red thread removed, I trimmed away the excess lace.
The binding was flipped to the wrong side and stitched down so the tiny lace edging could be re-attached.
Using double threads for the loop…this puppy has to be strong! So, no button shows and the threads blend in. On the day, the bride and her bridesmaids will be wearing fake fur jackets as they walk through the snow but at least the hem of the dress will be dry…fingers crossed!
Going back to my sofa to sneeze and blow my nose and drink Theraflu. My sewing sister Sharon says it tastes so good she would drink it every day…hopefully it is working!
Stay warm and dry and stay well my friends!