Sometimes mothers work too hard at searching for the perfect navy blue dress to comply with their daughter’s wishes. They will drive over 5 hours north or south and troll through racks at Nordstrom and Macy’s to find a dress that works for them. Sometimes, they just give up and buy something, anything that is navy.
After lots of grunting and shoving and holding of breaths…we got the zipper up only to realize that this dress had other problems. The back was way too wide at the neck and the lace panels were too long and would need to be moved lower under the satin bodice…not too bad but wait!
With the mother facing to the left, you can see the zipper is flipped up making a darling duck tail and the side seams are screaming as the butt yanks fabric one way while the front tummy yanks the upper side seam in the other direction. Have you ever seen such a thing? Not me!
The back view is even more weird!
Mother facing right you can see the right side seam screaming from the butt borrowing fabric
What the mother wanted was for me to find some extra fabric and let out all the seams to make the duck tail lie flat and add to all the side seams to make them hang straight…some days I have to “cry uncle”.
But I didn’t….I told her I would harvest fabric from the hems and try my best to make it work and then quoted her a ridiculously high price for all this labor with no guarantee it would look good in the end.
An hour later, I got a phone call from her saying she had found a size 18 in navy at a local shop and all it needed was a hemming.
She showed up days later with this dress in navy.
We had the same issues with this Jade by Jasmine dress…too wide back and too long lace panels and she did not want the bust boning. The lace was dropped and pinned lower and the center back zipper was marked for taking in at the waist. The boning was removed and I found the nicest boning soft rubber end covers…so I kept them.
Here is the new seam line basted and also the new placement for the 3 buttons that will be moved over.
The invisible zipper will be taken in too to give her a shaped waist.
Lace panels pinned and ready to hand baste:
All seams hand basted and ready for machine stitching, please ignore the puckering!
Once all the seams were machined shut and pressed, 3 layers of chiffon and satin hemmed, I had one very happy mother indeed!
So now starts the season with 9 wedding gowns to work on this month and I hope to avoid bridesmaids and mother of the bride dresses altogether. I have changed the message on my answerphone to reflect the booked brides on the calendar…“I’m sorry to tell you that I am booked solid through October, but if you are a November or December bride please leave your message and speak slowly”. In the collection in the photo above are 2 vintage wedding dresses to be made over…one is from 1973 and the other from 1953…challenges for sure!
Welcome to all the new readers this week…I do answer questions if you have any…firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring is coming….it really is and our clocks spring forward one hour tonight…I HATE daylight saving time!