Maybe I have been complaining too much about the number of tulle-skirted wedding gowns so the universe has sent me the reverse…totally beaded.
Yes, just like recent gowns the back is shear and the bride wants it tighter in the waist and hips all the way down past the end of the zipper.
This will require removing all the beads in the area to be taken in and the zipper removed from the top of the waistband past the original end of zipper. But before you go snipping and ripping, every bead adjacent to the removed beads has to be individually anchored down so the whole row of beads doesn’t end up in your lap! Non-sewers have mentioned to me that it must be so easy to snip and rip beads off dresses…sure!
I’m sure the client has no idea how long this takes and how tedious it is to find each controlling bead in a row/motif and run more thread through it before anything can be done and then saving each bead for later. At the waistband area there are strips of rhinestones on metal bars that have to be cut with pliers once the zipper is sewn.
The zipper is just hand basted now and when it is machine stitched, the waistbands will match and no one will ever know that 2 inches were removed. Funny thing to me was that the bride was worried about her guests looking back there and knowing that her dress had been altered.
Shortening the straps, I discovered that they were not equal in length (one inch vs 1.5 inches) but they will be when I get done:
The skirt will be shortened in the front 5 inches on the embroidered top tulle layer, the satin layer and the lining layer and finished with a narrow rolled hem.
The small train will need a one point bustle to clear the floor for dancing and photos in a field. Once the hems are finished, everything will be at floor level.
This week Mr Mole and I decided to take the plastic covers off of the raised beds to see how his winter experiment went. So far our winter has been very mild with little rain or snow and temps in the 50’s. He planted lettuce, spinach, chard and broccoli seeds in the Fall. Everything was harvested so new Spring veggies can be planted and the soil refreshed with chicken manure and compost loaded with worms. Here is the unveiling:
You can see that we have plenty of greens to last us for a while. What we don’t eat as fresh or give away to neighbors, I turn into a green soup for freezing. After an afternoon of soaking and washing all these leafy veggies, I put the scrappy ones in the kitchen compost bin but the next morning I found this:
Seems as though this little slug had an adventure in mind!
Meanwhile in the sewing room, the phone has been ringing non-stop with appointments being booked and excited brides describing their dresses and dreams! I hope all your sewing adventures this week turn out great!