Normally, I do not take on bridesmaid or MOB dresses during the wedding season so I can concentrate on the brides but this week things were different.
Both of my sewing friends to whom I send these other projects like bridesmaids etc. were unavailable with one having knee surgery and the other in a horrible car accident so this new desperate client came back to me for help.
In the Latin culture, when a girl turns 15 or 16, the family throws a party for their daughter to celebrate coming of age and it is called a Quincenera.
Using the link, you can see it involves a ceremony and lots of accessories. It also includes 7 female attendants and 7 male attendants and lots of relatives and best of all…a Tiara!
This dress had been left at another sewing center and as time was passing, they were less and less inclined to finish on time, so the mother retrieved the dress and brought it to me. It needed 2 layers of green satin hemmed 4-6 inches and lots of the beadwork repaired and all of the tulle layers trimmed with scissors. The corset back allows it to be worn by many sizes of girls. The push-up bust cups will be attached too.
But the main issue that shocked me was the petticoat that the salon “rented” to her which the mother said included a “hefty” cash deposit.
In the post in Feb that showed the gold beaded wedding dress, I never got to show you how I made a center front modesty section. The bride wanted her cleavage hidden so using the gold tulle that was cut off the hem, I made the V-shaped structure. Here you can see some scrap ivory tulle just pinned into place to become the pattern for placement.
First, I folded the 2 strips in half lengthwise and overlapped them and pinned where the seam would be. Then I chalked the lines and removed the pins and re-pinned ready for stitching.
Once stitched together, the seam is trimmed to 1/4 inch wide:
Then the seams are pressed open and stacked flat unto each other to form the “V”. Then the section is pinned into place and attached to the lining by hand.
The final step was to find a bustle button that matched the lace and gold fabric so I coffee-dyed a lace and satin metal backed button from Wawak to tone down the ivory color.
Happy Spring sewing everyone and enjoy the buds on the trees if you have them and welcome to the new readers who were referred by Kate this week!