Here is the latest from Watters and it is called Galatea.
The entire bodice is sheer and the huge polyester embroidered flowers are quite striking.
My bride just fell in love with this look and ordered it in the color titanium/grey.
So what needs to be done? Shorten the straps and the nude lining on each side.
Here is the only thing standing between the skin and the public…a little bust pad.
It comes with a tiny plastic snap that is basically useless when keeping the center back closed so it will be replaced with a real metal one.
Interestingly, you rarely see top stitching down each side of the zipper but it keeps the tulle layer away from the teeth!
While the flowers are pretty spectacular, they really are a pain when dealing with a bustle. The left and right side panel flowers do not line up/mirror each other and to make a bustle, the tulle really does not want to co-operate. I spent an entire afternoon pinning the points up and down and in the end I just gave up.
The bride says she just wants to drag her hem around all day and did not want me to trim even an inch off the front to help from dragging twigs and grass along with her.
While it was easy getting the satin layer to bustle….and the center flower on the tulle to sort of fold under… the side flowers were like cardboard and refused to play nice.
Each grouping of side flowers did not mirror each other. Even when just pinned up…well it was a real “dog’s dinner”. Another seamstress friend Lu thought it might work making the bustle at an angle but that would have looked like something went wrong.
Getting all that grey tulle laying was also a problem and I suggested we trim that to floor length and then go back and try again with the flowered layer but in the end the bride just wanted it all to drag behind her.
A final shot of the underarm panel…a single layer of netting, so no hiding anything!
After mentioning to the salon owner about the issues of the bustle, she revealed that she has sold 4 more of these dresses so I might be getting 4 more this season…oh Lordie!
Going with the trend of grey…we have ordered vinyl privacy lattice panels to be attached to the top edge of our side yard fence so Mr. Mole can grow roses or passionflowers higher up. Just waiting now for the handyman to come by and install them.
The first harvest of potatoes is ready!
The weather report this weekend is for our first 90 degree day…this will certainly encourage the squash plants to start racing ahead! But before I leave, here is the link to the famous Victorian wedding dress: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2018/05/16/a-wedding-dress-of-spitalfields-silk-x/
Happy June 1st everyone!