After altering strictly wedding gowns for 16 years and blogging about them every week for 9 years, I am reflecting over how many techniques have been sewn and shown and documented.
Working on 80-100 gowns every year over this long period of time has me thinking that you readers have had to wade through hundreds of photos of the same things like how to shorten a scalloped lace hem, how to use twill tape to snug up bodices, how to make a bustle and how to make a corset back. To help you find these particular techniques, I have made 2 new pages with examples of past projects in the upper right hand corner of my home page. More pages will be added.
It is time for me to make sure that future blogs have something new and unique instead of the same old thing. If I think that a dress has features that are new and unusual enough to photograph and share…then I will post it.
If not, I will wait until there is something more interesting for both of us and then post about it. There will be more time between posts but they will be more diverse. Watching and reading other blogs is always encouraging and my favorite wedding alteration videos are here: Bridal Sewing Techniques
There will be more posts with Nancy and her custom clothes which are always so much fun for me working on cool fabrics that she finds during her travels and fitting issues that crop up between the paper pattern and a real live model.
So, in keeping with this new idea, I will share the few things I had to do on the first wedding jumpsuit that came my way.
This jump suit was ordered from Etsy. It is nylon lace knit lined with polyester knit. The wrap front needed to be tacked down, teardrop bust cups added, shoulders taken up and some attention given to the weird crotch issues. Here is the website model:
Here we are with a real bride. With the shoulders pinned and teardrop bust pads pinned on and suggested grosgrain belt we may be able to make this fit better and look more festive. Can you see the crotch area? What is going on there? I’m guessing the pulling is due to a too short lining.
Sometimes when a nervous bride is worried about her tummy showing in the photos, I always say that her bouquet will cover any bulges but we both had a laugh when this bride says she can’t carry her flowers over her nether regions.
My bride is 6’2 and could never see herself wearing a wedding gown. She ordered the sleeves to be elbow length. Happily the length is perfect for her enviable long legs. To show off her best feature, we are adding a removable belt.
The bride wanted a non-fussy bow so I made a sample flat one that will snap open for bathroom visits. with no zippers and an elastic waist, there is no other way to get this jumpsuit on or off except stepping into it and pulling it over the shoulders.
Side seam thread loops help keep the belt from riding up or down. The red thread shows where the top of the belt should be as the bride is longer waisted than this jumpsuit waist.
Getting accurate placement of bow:
To remedy the weird crotch seams, the lining needed to be dropped to equal the lace although they will not stretch the same when sitting.
Let’s tackle that too high lining seam…the first basting was still too high after the second try-on. Dropping the seams 1.25 inches from the original should do the trick.
Using the zigzag/lightening knit stretch stitch will make this permanent and ready for serging.
What stitch did I use? On my Elna it is number 066.
Bow and belt are ready for back snaps:
Six snaps should do the trick along the top edge.
The tails of the bow will be trimmed at an angle when she decides how long they should be. If they are too long, you end up sitting on them and yanking the bow off.
The front belt tacked on and stretched to sit flat. The front wrap section is also flat and hugging her chest after tacking it on the wrong side.
Finally, the squash are producing with a new striped version of zucchini and a shiny dark green patty pan also new to the garden this year with temps yesterday at 100F.
Wishing you much success with your sewing projects and continued learning and experimenting with all our challenges.