Here are the components:
A friend of mine, a single dad of two boys, wanted to know if it was possible to make a custom martial arts outfit for one of them. He is so proud of their accomplishments.
Finding huge stars was a real challenge until I found flag fabric by the yard. Once I found the 1.5 inch wide braid for the pants I was so happy!
You can see the layers on the back which also wrap around to the front… To start, I pinned the fabric to the fronts to get an idea of what I was up against.
One issue, right away, was the red and white stripes. The red one had to start at the lower band at the hem. The same stripe had to remain at that level, parallel with the floor, all the way around so that is where I started and then smoothed the fabric on the way up to the shoulder. Pinning and pinning allowed me to get just the right angle on the angled front bands.
Once pinned, I had to hand baste all the edges of the red stripes to the under jacket and also between the stars. You can see that the front stars have been machine sewn every 2.5 inches and the remaining hand basting in white on the sleeve front.
After I realized that I could not sew down the length of the sleeve with a sewing machine, I had to open the underarm seam to attach the remaining back panels. The only problem is the seams were all triple stitched and flat felled.
The seam opened up flat and the left front half of the sleeve attached to the jacket.
The right sleeve attached and given diagonal and vertical stitching. The back panels will have to be pieced and overlapped.
Diagonal back seam top stitched and patched back sleeves ready to pin unto the back:
Once the sleeve cuff area was opened, I found an inside wrist binding that had to be re-attached after converting the under arm flat fold seam to just a regular pressed open and flat one. Once the flag fabric was attached, I could serge the edges.
Band stitched back into place. You can see that I double stitched all the edges down.
The inside under arm seams are pinned and ready to be hand attached to the jacket.
What about the pants? There is a triangular section at the crotch and it had to be filled in with 2 small flags overlapped and stitched down along the red lines. The side seams and hems were a real b*itch to sew as everything had to be scrunched up and sewn by machine through the waist opening. With the sleeves this was impossible so they were opened up flat.
You can see in this photo that the blue fabric is sitting under the red and white striped one one the back but will be cut away .
The finished project after over 12 hours of labor:
Here we have the boy with his belt ready for competition:
While the parents of the other students went wild over the custom gi, I told the dad that he can never reveal who made this happen. Maybe it would have been easier if it were an all over pattern like camouflage but working with stripes was surely the hardest part!
Hoping all goes well for my US sewing sisters on Thursday…juicy turkey, moist dressing and well behaved relatives…one can only hope!
Thank you for dropping by!