Does anyone have a terry cloth towel from 1970 still in perfect condition?
This little honey came to me from a family member who had one demand:
MAKE IT LIKE NEW!
Let’s take a closer look shall we?
It is a raggedy terry cloth robe with a tie belt.
Looking inside the right sleeve we find this…a hole on one side.
After removing some previous hand stitching to just make the hole go away, I found the end of the hole higher up. Love the raggedy end of the cuff hem! What to do? My first thought was to trash it but as it was given to her by her beloved son, it had to be renovated.
How about the neck band? When did the fold disintregate? Now, there are two separate pieces flopping around…what to do? Can you imagine wearing this for 40 years? I could have cut new bands out of cotton fabric but in the past I have been sorely criticized for repairs that did not meet with her approval. Trying to avoid all nasty comments, I decided to work something else out.
You can see that the wear is not evenly placed, more off to one side.
There was a left front pocket not being used, so I removed it to make patches. I had just enough length to attach to the neckline and wrap to the back of the ratty band.
All of the patches will be machine attached with a variable zig-zag stitch which will disappear into the nap, well what’s left of the nap.
Moving unto the sleeve and what is left of the pocket. I slide the patch underneath and try to line up the design and again, zig-zag over all the raw edges and trim away the excess on the inside. The folded under hem that is missing will be patched as well.
The front patch will have a matching facing to attach and fold under like the original.
A fuzzy photo of the inside…sorry!
The new patch is almost invisble from the outside:
The inside shows the coverage and trimmed patch edges with pinking shears.
Here you can see how off center the neck wear was. Wonder why it was so uneven?
The outside looks OK.
On the hanger you can see how lop-sided the collar patch is.
In the end she got what she wanted with losing one pocket.
This week Mr. Mole took the plastic cover off of the winter veggies so I could harvest our first batch of spinach. Another job done was planting strawberries and an artichoke plant.
So that Nadine could be with us in the garden when the weather gets nicer, we put a harness on her and attached a leash to get her used to walking around outside.
We are very much looking forward to getting our first vaccine shots the middle of March. It has taken a long time and a long list to qualify for the over 70 year olds and fingers crossed the vaccine will be in supply the day we show up!!!
More brides have made appointments this month and I have a cool project for Nancy that I will be sharing with you too! Happy sewing everyone!